<º))))>< WHO WE ARE <º))))><
Kaknab is the short form of "k'aa'naab," the Yucateco Mayan word for ocean (reserving the word Mayan for the language and the word Maya for the people and their culture). Our mission is to implement community-based solutions that will reduce the negative impacts environmental problems have on the ocean and the indigenous cultures it sustains. Through an interdisciplinary approach that takes into account the identity, traditions, socioeconomic and environment coastal indigenous communities thrive in, we create educational and community-based projects that help reduce the problems indigenous communities are facing. We work together with community leaders, fishermen, and volunteers to address the problems caused by climate change and environmental pollution. Kaknab is a non-profit dedicated to protecting our ocean and the indigenous cultures that depend on it. We understand that marine resources help alleviate poverty in many countries and indigenous communities. Our overall vision is to restore healthy oceans and coasts through conservation utilizing indigenous resource management practices and values. We take pride in our diverse background and indigenous principles that led to the establishment of Kaknab.
<º))))>< WHAT WE DO <º))))><
We aim to implement community-based solutions that will alleviate the problems the people who live off the ocean are facing through education and conservation. The relationships we have with the communities we help are important in maintaining our ties to the people, who are also dedicated to making a difference in their communities. We work closely with indigenous coastal tribes, fisheries cooperatives and other organizations who share a similar mission to Kaknab. To learn more about our projects and resources visit our PROJECTS page.
<º))))>< PROJECTS THAT IMPACT THE WORLD <º))))><
- Promote sustainable practices in coastal communities.
- Utilize indigenous management practices to address environmental issues affecting the ocean.
- Respect sacred sites and rituals of the Water People.
- Help the ocean continue to alleviate poverty in coastal indigenous communities and fishing cooperatives.
- Educate the youth about conservation and ocean sustainability.
- Reduce the bycatch of endangered species (i.e. sea turtles).
- Promote ocean & human health.
- Educate the public about seafood sustainable choices for consumption with partnering non-profit, Seafood Watch.
- Protect endangered marine species worldwide with Jaws & Paws.